Marshal Ganz's Organizing Module

Topic Tagscivil rights, education, leadership, Marshall GanzLegal & educational materials, scripts, technical discussion

Marshal Ganz's Organizing Module

Postby wes » May 19th, 2009, 5:59 pm

Marshall Ganz's online curriculum module on Organizing is now available to the public. This web module contains learning materials that touch upon questions such as "What is organizing? How do people organize? What skills are required of organizers? How can these skills be shared with others?" This module is designed as a library of readings, video lecture clips and web link resources on organizing for organizers, students, and trainers of organizers alike. In addition, trainers will find pedagogy on organizing developed by Professor Ganz and his colleagues.
-from Harvard Kenedy School of Gov't's website @ http://www.hks.harvard.edu/organizing/

LINK

TOPIC 1: What is organizing: leadership, community, and power
TOPIC 2: The "role" of leadership and leadership development in organizing
TOPIC 3: The "role" of relationship-building in building a foundation for organizing
TOPIC 4: "Why" we organize: values, identity, and narrative in motivating participation
TOPIC 5: "How" we organize: strategizing to transform resources into the power to achieve purpose
TOPIC 6: Action: how organizers change the world
TOPIC 7: Summing up: If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am for myself alone, what am I? If not now, when?
Organizers identify, recruit and develop leadership; build community around leadership; and build power out of community.
Organizers challenge people to take the responsibility to act. For an individual, empowerment begins with accepting responsibility. For an organization, empowerment begins with commitment, the responsibility its members take for it. Responsibility begins with choosing to act. Organizers challenge people to commit, to act, and to act effectively.
Organizers build community by developing leadership. They develop leaders by enhancing their skills, values and commitments. They build strong communities through which people gain new understanding of their interests as well as the power to act on them -- communities which are bounded yet inclusive, communal yet diverse, solidaristic yet tolerant. They develop a relationship between a constituency and its leaders based on mutual responsibility and accountability.
So what do leaders do that makes them leaders? Leaders accept the responsibility for enabling others to achieve their purposes in an uncertain world. Leaders choose to accept this responsibility. The responsibility they accept is for engaging with others, their constituency. The challenge they accept is one of enabling their constituency to define and achieve desired goals. When we know exactly what to do, when there are no surprises, no new challenges to face, and we’re following a routine, what need do we have of leadership? It’s when we enter the domain where the rules don’t quite work, where we don’t know which rules apply, where we’re trying to do something that hasn’t been done before – or that we haven’t done before - that’s when leadership enters the picture.
Last edited by wes on May 19th, 2009, 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wes

Re: Marshal Ganz's Organizing Module

Postby wes » May 19th, 2009, 6:05 pm

Does anyone think this material is any good? Marshall Ganz played a pretty big role in the UFW (that's why I came across him) - he was one of the people who came to the farmworkers movement from the Southern civil rights movement and Freedom Summer (although he was from Bakersfield, CA originally). Consequently, he brings a very civil rights/civil society approach to labor organizing, for better or for worse...
wes

Topic Tags

civil rights, education, leadership, Marshall Ganz

Return to Tools & Techniques